The Post Office first came to the village in 1855. It received its first phone for telegram use only in 1897 and the kiosk came to the Square in 1937.
Siop Brefi is the last remaining shop but in 1970 there was the Cooperative, London Shop and Siop Harriet.
Years ago there were many more – Cambrian Store; Cherry Tree; Smith House selling bread; Siop Mrs Morgan; Y Ddôl; Brenig View, a butchers; Miss Hawes, Llwynonn and Evan Jones, Penbont both selling bread.
There was a reading room in Erwlas where villagers could go to read the single copy of the daily newspaper.
Five fairs were held in the village:
15th January for two weeks to coincide with the ‘Blessing of the Seed’.
7th May at sowing time.
Gwsberins Ffair (Gooseberry Fair) held on 24th July. Items for the harvest season would be sold there including sand to sharpen the scythes.
Two autumn fairs held on:
9th October for pleasure.
13th November to hire servants to work on the farms.
The last remaining public houses are the Foelallt Arms and the New Inn. There were 12 public and ale houses. The names that remain within the village are:–
The Drovers; Bridge End; Cross Inn; Black Lion, Black Lion Fach.
The Pound, Pownd or Ffald was walled with a locked gate. Stray animals were held there and owners had to pay for their release. Any not claimed were sold off and the money was given out in welfare payments.
Based on extracts from ‘Yr Ancr’ magazine, research work completed by pupils of Ysgol Gynradd Llanddewi Brefi in the 1970’s and their Headmaster, the late Mr. Ben Richards.
Mae'r dudalen hon hefyd ar gael yn: Cymraeg